While the original project brief was to design a booklet to promote the design competition, we soon saw an opportunity to expand on the initial brief and develop a design system to better engage the varied audiences and create a consistent visual message across a broad range of materials.
It was proposed that we would develop a brand identity for WTINE by repurposing the typography of the preferred cover design. This was further developed to create a visual language.
The book cover highlights the human aspect of the challenges faced by people and reflects the real-world applications of the WTINE competition explored in the content of the book. We suggested that although the aim of the book was to highlight challenges that required the input of applicants, most of the imagery should tell positive and inspirational stories.
We set up a folder in Dropbox and the client uploaded the text, photos and their partner organisation logo files.
Before starting to flow the text, we scanned the Word document looking for any typos or errors so they could be eliminated before transferring the text to InDesign. We then flowed the text and inserted the images. That gave us a first proof of approx. 120 pages plus cover. We sent an email to the client with a link to the proof in Dropbox.
About 2 weeks later, they reverted with all the changes required marked on the PDF proof. (There are a number of methods for marking alterations and we agree the most appropriate one with the client before starting.)
GK Design made the alterations and sent the revised proof to me. I then checked the new document against the list of changes supplied by the client to ensure the proofing/alteration process was as accurate as possible and the proofing stage as quick and efficient as possible.
After four further rounds of alterations, the final proof was approved and we created a print-ready file and a web-optimised file. Visuals of the finished project are shown below.